Choosing a Hospice
While every hospice program is required to adhere to the same regulations, not every program is the same. Here are a few questions to ask when considering hospice providers:
- Do they admit patients regardless of their ability to pay?
- Do they admit patients without an advance directive?
- Who is available to answer calls and make visits after hours?
- What kind of training do the volunteers receive?
- Will they admit a patient with no live-in caregiver?
- Is there a physician on site or on call 7 days a week?
- Do their physicians make house calls?
- Is bereavement support available for family members following a patient’s death?
- Do they have an inpatient facility?
- Do they provide hospice in nursing homes?
While we believe Hospice of Southern Maine provides the very best hospice care in southern Maine, we encourage you to explore your options. You can search for a hospice provider on the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization’s (NHPCO) website.
From Our Patients & Their Families
"You nurses are wonderful. My calls were always answered and I was never nervous. You guys are unsung heroes in my eyes. Keep up the excellent work." More...