How do I make a referral to the Wings of Compassion pediatric program?
Referrals to the Wings of Compassion pediatric program may be made by anyone, including, but not limited to:
- Physicians or Nurses
- Discharge Planners
- Social Workers
- Home Care Agencies
Once a referral is received, a phone call will be placed to the family within one business day to schedule an in-home assessment, which will be completed within 5 business days, dependent on family availability. Families will receive education about the Wings of Compassion program, and offered the services of a volunteer and other associated team members.
The volunteer assignment will be based on patient/family needs and volunteer compatibility. The family will be notified when a volunteer has accepted the assignment, and be given the name of the volunteer. The volunteer will then contact the family to schedule their first visit at a mutually agreed upon time. The volunteer will provide up to 4 hours/week of non-medical aid and support.
Wings of Compassion Eligibility
Wings of Compassion eligibility criteria include:
- Patient is newborn to 18 years of age
- Patient has a prognosis of approximately 6 to 12 months or less
- Patient is under the care of a physician
- Family's residence is within Southern Maine
- Family desires care in the home
- Patient's medical condition is in significant decline
- Patient's family is focused on quality of life as a goal for their child's care
- Family caregivers desire psychosocial, spiritual and emotional support as they care for their child at home